Like the Negroni, the Jack Rose is another classic cocktail, popularized in the 1920's and 1930's. It is a refreshing and simple cocktail that you can whip together with very standard bar ingredients. The sweetness of the grenadine is cut by the lemon juice for a delicious drink. The cocktail also appears in one of Hemingway's master pieces, The Sun Also Rises when the main character sips one at a bar at the Crillon Hotel in Paris. Ahh that sounds good about now!
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1 1/2 ounce applejack or Calvados or apple brandy
- 1/4 ounce grenadine
- 1 barspoon powdered sugar
- In a cocktail shaker over ice, mix the lemon juice, applejack, grenadine, and powdered sugar.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a well chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon peel or apple wedge if desired.