In addition to gift guides, this year I've decided to share some of my favorite homemade holiday gift ideas starting with Pickled Red Onions. Growing up my mother would work with my brother and I each year to craft a different homemade holiday gift. Not only did they always come out beautifully and were much appreciated by all recipients, but I cherished the time spent with my family making them. Today's gift, pickled red onions makes the perfect gift for a foodie and entertainer. See more after the jump for ingredients, recipe, and the how-to for the gift wrapping.
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar (white vinegar works too)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns ( I used mixed black, white, and pink)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 large red onion, sliced thinly
- In a large stew pot, boil several gallons of water. Using tongs, place pickling jars and lids into the boiling water. Remove with tongs and let dry.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauce pot, add the vinegar, sugar, pickling spices, salt, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and bayleaf. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Place onions in jar. Pour vinegar mixture over top.
- Cover jars and let cool to room temperature. Once room temperature, place in fridge.
- Can be made 3 weeks ahead. Drain before serving.