Being the awesome bf that he is, the Boy saw that I had recently pinned an image of moules frites saying that it was my favorite meal ever and so he decided to recreate it for Valentine's Day dinner. Well he went above and beyond putting his own twist on the dish that seriously stepped it up a few levels.
Read more after the jump for ingredients and recipe...
- 2 lbs mussels**
- 1 large onion, jullienned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 6 oz white dry wine
- handful of mushrooms, I think he used cremini or shitake, wiped clean and diced
- bacon, 6-7 strips diced
- salt and pepper
- Wash mussels and prep ingredients.
- Saute the bacon in a large skillet until browned and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate with paper towel to degrease.
- Skim off about half of the bacon fat from skillet and discard. Saute onions in skillet over medium-low heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add shallots, garlic, and mushrooms to skillet and continue to saute for several 3-5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the wine. Bring to a boil and then immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Add the mussels and thyme. Cook for 7-8 minutes covered or until all mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that have not opened.
- Add some cream (2-ish tablespoons) and the bacon.
What is your favorite meal memory?