This pizza, although not the healthiest, was taste-bud exploding and tummy filling. We basically made deep dish pizza in the cast iron skillet and piled it high with everything yummy we could think of... caramelized onions, bacon, goat cheese, arugula, and fried egg. This is the perfect meal for a rainy Sunday when all you want to do is be lazy, eat pizza,drink wine, and watch a movie. Oh and if you are thinking of saving half of it for Monday's lunch, forget it because this baby will be gone in one sitting.
- fresh pizza dough (from Whole Foods if you are lazy-pants like us or you can make it yourself with this awesome recipe by my girl Giada)
- bacon, diced (however many slices your inner fatty desires)
- 2 large onions, julienned
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- crumbled goat cheese
- eggs (1 per person or enough for each slice to get a little)
- arugula (a few handfuls)
|Don't forget the goat cheese...|
- Turn oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- Start by sauteing the onions in some olive oil over medium heat. If they start browning, turn down the heat. You want them to be translucent and eventually caramelized.
- Kneed the dough and start to flatten it into a circle to fit the bottom of the cast iron skillet. Grease the bottom of the skillet with olive oil and place dough in. Salt and pepper the top. Let rest.
- Saute the bacon over medium heat until crispy.
- Once onions are caramelized, layer onions, bacon and goat cheese on pizza and put in oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry your eggs, sunny side up, until whites are cooked, but yolk is still runny.
- When cheese is melted and pizza crusts are golden brown, remove from oven. Top with arugula and fried egg. Eat.
This was our first time making pizza in a cast iron skillet, and I am really pleased with how it turned out. Between the olive oil and the skillet, the crust got a perfect crunchy, yummy bottom without being too dry. I'm also not huge on runny egg, but I think it worked really well here, almost as a sauce in place of tomatoes. What are your favorite pizza toppings?
Happy pigging out!