That's right folks... BURGER salad... aka deliciousness. This is our final week before our vacay so we've really been trying to eat a lot of salad, veggies, and protein. Instead of caving to our cravings for a burger (we have to walk by ZBurger and McD's on our way home from the metro and the smells are just cruel) we made chock a block full of veggies salad with some mini burgers and home made blue cheese dressing.
|With breadcrumbs, minced garlic, and some Jack Daniels mustard.|
|Crispy caramelized outside, med rare, juicy inside... mmm.|
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1-2 teaspoons mustard
- salt and pepper
- diced veggies (we had red pepper, tomato, cucumber, and left over corn on the cob that I chopped off the ear)
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 1 package baby bella mushrooms sliced
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (we only had lime and it turned out fine)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or whole milk
- salt and pepper
- Mix the ground beef, garlic, breadcrumbs, mustard, salt and pepper. Form burgers into mini patty's.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Saute the onions and mushrooms until caramelized. Remove from skillet.
- Keep the skillet on medium high heat and saute the burgers. I like to sear on both sides for a nice caramelized outside. We also like our burgers rare, so they really don't need much time, but if you like yours more well done, I'd suggest searing the outsides till brown, then throwing it in the oven for a few minutes to finish the inside.
- For dressing, whisk together all the ingredients until well blended.
- Sprinkle veggies including caramelized onions and mushrooms on a bed of greens. Place cooked burgers on top and pour dressing over top.
Enjoy with a nice glass of red or beer! What do you do to stop your burger/ fast food cravings? or do you just have more self control than us?