Where I come from it's corn bread and chicken... ok I promise never to make a country music reference again... Not quite in keeping with my pre-vacay healthy eating plans, but sometimes you just have to eat some comfort food. Also, my special BBQ sauce is pretty spectacular. The coleslaw has is a Chipotle-lime Jicama Slaw. Tangy, spicy, creamy, yummy.
BBQ Sauce (side note, I usually don't measure, just eye it and taste as I stir, so I'm just giving you the ingredients here and you can experiment to make your own signature BBQ sauce)
- balsamic vinegar
- minced garlic
- honey mustard
- maple syrup
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- sometimes I like to add some peach jam
- bag pre-shredded green cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled, and grated
- 1 jicama, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- Chipotle pepper (I used the powdered kind because it lasts longer and is easier to handle, think no hands touching eyes)
|Brown sugar, paprika, and maple syrup add some extra flavor.|
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- dash of maple syrup
- dash of paprika
- sometimes I add a can of creamed corn, but you may need to add more cornmeal/ flour or less milk
|After stirring and simmering, abstract art becomes yummy sauce.|
|Random flour mixture becomes random goo.|
- Combine all ingredients and whisk.
- Place in a saucepan over medium high heat. Bring just to a boil then reduce to low.
- Simmer until sauce has reduced and thickened. See spoon.
- Mix wet ingredients in a large bowl with whisk.
- Add cabbage, carrot, and jicama.
- Toss to coat evenly with salad forks.
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients in 1/3 cup increments.
- Pour into 9" x 9" non-stick or pre-greased baking pan.
- Bake at 400 Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes or until top is yummy and golden.
Enjoy! What are your favorite comfort foods?
Happy Hump Day!