|Espresso and rum soaked ladyfingers.|
- 1 cup, 1 teaspoon espresso, cooled
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 8ounce container of mascarpone
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 package of store bought ladyfingers (or you can make them yourself if you are feeling ambitious)
- powdered cocoa
- Using a whisk or whisk attachment to an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until smooth and a little bit lighter in color.
- Add in the container of mascarpone and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in a pinch of cinnamon, freshly grated nutmeg, and 1 teaspoon espresso. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or more.
- Mix 1 cup espresso with 1/4 cup dark rum and pour into a flat bottomed bowl for dipping.
- Take half of the lady fingers and dip each one VERY quickly into the espresso/ rum mixture. I placed each lady finger on a fork and quickly lowered them into the liquid mix. If they become too saturated they will disintegrate.
- While dipping, arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of a baking dish. I used 7" by 5", 16 ounce baking dish, which fit 2 layers perfectly.
- Once the first layer of lady fingers is down, spread half of the mascarpone mixture on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon, freshly grated nutmeg, and powdered cocoa.
- Dip the rest of the ladyfingers and arrange on top of previous layer.
- Spread the remaining mascarpone mixture on top and sprinkle with powdered cocoa.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour. Can be made the night before.
I hope you enjoy as much as I did!